“To prevent tragedies in schools and communities it is essential that we involve young people and break the code of silence. By engaging students, staff and the community to be part of the solution we can intervene early and prevent tragedy. The ‘Safe2Tell’ model provides a protected method of reporting with layers of protection where we can increase successful interventions and interruptions in preventing tragedies. In fact, we have saved countless lives since Safe2Tell began.” Susan Payne, Safe2Tell Founder
Safe2Tell was founded on the idea that prevention and early intervention is the key to preventing violence and saving lives. The guiding principles of this safety and prevention initiative model include educating young people and school staff on critical issues; encouraging them to play a role in prevention; equipping them with a tangible direct way to report anonymously, while empowering them to make a difference.
Bringing a proactive plan of reporting to focus, the Safe2Tell Colorado model allows for early interventions to take place in regards to behaviors identified as precipitators to violence and for those behaviors that endanger the health and well-being of youth. The strategy framework established by the model provides a sophisticated and efficient method for sharing information to local responders and schools; builds a system that establishes best practices for schools to identify a team response along with law enforcement partners; encourages training and provides CEU’s; and establishes methods for accountability and follow-up on each report, thereby reducing liability to the individual schools and providing a way to effectively measure outcomes.
Safe2Tell Colorado provides:
- An anonymous way for students, parents, school staff and community members to report concerns regarding their safety or the safety of others.
- Resources and materials for schools and communities to educate and promote the Safe2Tell Colorado initiative.
- Technical assistance to schools and communities before and after tragic events.
- Expertise in creating safer schools and communities through prevention and early intervention.
- Education, awareness and outreach to encourage reporting and breaking the code of silence.